The most common refrain from students after a Test is “I knew the concept/formula, but forgot it during the exam”? Why does this happen so often? Is there something wrong with the way we approach a Test. In India, most of us believe that “concepts are not taught properly in schools and hence students have very poor conceptual clarity”
And to overcome this, we expose our kids to Videos, Animations and multimedia tools explaining concepts and theories.
The mistake here is that we confuse clarity of concept with application of concept. A student might have clarity about the concept, but lack of practise might lead to very poor application of the concept during a test.
So often we come across students saying they have finished studying the chapter, but end up doing poorly in those chapters only during a test. Its primarily because of lack of practise.
The main problem that needs to be addressed is this Lack of Practise.
What are the causes:
- 75-80% of the students don’t like studying. Hence get any with the easier option of just reading the concept without any practise.
- Practising questions is time consuming.
- Practising questions repeatedly is Boring.
Current Education Products
- Online Content (Rapidly declining marginal utility)
- Online Testing with diagnosis and remedial (Need to prepare, resistance from child)
What is wrong
- Core belief that kids do not understand concepts (and once they understand concepts, everything will be fine)
- Unscientific way of judging topic specific weakness
- Does not help in reducing Silly mistakes.
- Does not improve the Test taking Temperament of a child.
What is needed
- Repeated Practise of concepts by the child.
- Make learning fun.
- Make testing challenging, yet entertaining.
- Improve the test taking temperament of the child
How iChamp makes it happen
- Short duration Tests – 1 minute long.
- Focus only on core concepts. Easier for kids to do without having the pressure to study everytime before giving a test.
- Friendly challenges
- Motivation through endorsements/LB
- All India Benchmarking
- Reports that tell about what is wrong with the way a child is giving a test, enabling the child to score 100% in his/her strong topics.